Oil Filter & Cooler Hoses & Fittings

I made a simple bracket to hold my oil thermostat. I’ll attach the bracket and thermostat to the engine mount using the 2 Adel clamps you see in the picture. I was shocked to see how much the AN fittings added in terms of overall size to the thermostat. Luckily, space isn’t much of an issue under my cowling.

Here’s an overview shot of the entire installation. The oil line comes out of the engine to the filter then from the filter to the thermostat. From there, it goes in and then back out of the cooler and then from the thermostat back to the engine. Lots and lots of hoses so I’m hoping this pays big dividends in terms of oil temp reduction.

Here’s a close-up of the installation of my hose fitting. I learned from a friend to put some tape on the hose before you start screwing the fitting together to make sure the hose isn’t pushed out of the fitting as the parts are joined. I’m using Aeroquip Lite hose. It’s about $8/foot, but it’s approved by all the different car race associations as fireproof. It’s also rated for 500psi so that should pretty much handle my 90psi (max) O-200!

A close-up shot of where the oil lines come in and out of my case. This is the same location Continental uses for the installation of an oil cooler, but it’s a custom fitting. The O-200’s rarely had an oil cooler installed in a Certified installation. They put oil coolers on Cessna 140 planes, but only in the seaplane configuration… Fairly rare. Cessna wants many hundreds of dollars for their official fitting so I was happy that the prior owner of my plane had this fitting custom built for this engine. You’ll remember that I tried the F&M or F&S or whatever brand oil filter adapter and oil cooler spin on adapter, but my engine mount interfered.

A close-up shot of the fittings and hoses coming and going from the thermostat and the spin-on oil filter adapter. If you look closely you’ll notice that the blue anodizing has been removed from the fitting on the right side of the oil filter adapter. I had a clearance issue so a friend cut the threads down by about a 1/4″ and then re-threaded the fitting. Worked perfectly.

A close-up shot of the fittings on the oil filter adapter. You can see where the modification to the right fitting gave me just enough clearance to account for the curvature of the firewall flange.
.
I don’t have a picture, but a friend came over to observe an engine run to check for leaks. Good news! No leaks. With 6 hoses and 12 fittings, I’d never want to just assume I did everything right. It’s very satisfying to have a dry installation.
.
The fiberglass work on the plenum is coming along nicely. I’m pretty much to the point of using tape to cover a few holes and testing the system. If the weather is good, I’ll tape up the holes and go flying. If the weather isn’t flyable, I’ll spend the day doing more fiberglass work, instead. I’ve got Monday, Thursday and maybe part of the day Wednesday of next week to work on the plane. I’m planning to head down to Abilene, TX on Friday for an air race on Saturday. I think the only thing that’ll stop me this time is weather.


You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.