Airwolf Adapter & New Oil Cooler

I put the porcupine fins on the oil filter and started building brackets for the remote filter installation. It’s surprising how much time it takes to fabricate brackets. If you look closely in the picture, you’ll notice that I used waxed lacing to hold the Adel clamps closed. The lace lays down fairly flat and allows me to get a nut and bolt started without too many cuss words. After the nut is started, I use a razor blade to cut and then remove the lacing.

The Airwolf oil filter adapter pickup is really a work of art. In my Continental O200 installation, I removed the original screen and replaced it with the Airwolf adapter. The fittings shown in this picture are just for test purposes. I’ll probably end up using 2-90 degree fittings.

Once I was satisfied with the fit of all my new brackets, I primed and painted everything white to match the engine mount. I’m pretty happy with how everything turned out. Note that I’ve removed the porcupine fins. I talked with a friend who tried them and said if they helped at all, it was VERY little. I’ll be sending mine back. For $100 they need to be more effective than the width of my temperature needle!

The pictorial manifestation of my oil cooler situation. I started with a used Stewart Warner cooler. I then switched to a used Positech cooler. I have now decided to go with a brand new Setrab cooler. It’s the one on the far right in this picture. It has about the same frontal area as the other two coolers, but only half the thickness. This is a 10 row cooler so I’m hoping it’s adequate for my O200. A friend is using a Setrab cooler in his Giles 200 with great results. The price was right at only $106–BRAND NEW!

Of course in true homebuilder spirit, I had to make a few modifications to my brand new cooler! I cut the mounting tabs off one side of the cooler to allow it to slip through a hole in my bottom engine cowl.

This was the painful part. I marked the outline of the material to be removed (yes, cut out) from my lower cowling. The idea is that I’ll slip the cooler down into a new air duct fabricated to provide a direct stream of fresh air to the cooler. So much for my shiny checkerboard cowling!

With the hole cut in the cowling, it was time to start fiberglassing in a few mounting pads to support the oil cooler. I used white duct tape to hold the cooler in place and then a couple of blocks of foam to help shape the mounting pads. This will be a multi-day, multi-step layup process so keep following along and the method to my madness will [hopefully] become apparent.

This is how I left the project when I left the airport at about noon today. With any luck, it’ll still look somewhat like this when I return to the airport tomorrow morning. It’s been getting into the 90’s each afternoon so I’m guessing the fiberglass will have cured by tomorrow morning!

We had a very special visitor at the airport today. Dick Vangrunsven of Van’s Aircraft stopped through on his way to Oshkosh. A few of us went out for BBQ this evening and had a great time listening to Mr. Vangrunsven. He’s a very smart and interesting person to talk to and I’m honored to have met him. When all the dust settles 50 years from now, I believe Mr. Vangrunsven will be seen as one of the top 5 most influential people in general aviation in recorded history. On top of that, he’s a really nice guy.


You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.