Accessory Case & Oil Lines

PA040047.JPG This is the accessory case after the paint dried and before I removed the masking tape. I’m pretty happy with how well the red rattle can engine paint matched my original red powder coating. The generator cover laying on top of the case is an example of the original powder coating.

.

.

.

.

.

.

PA090056.JPG

Unfortunately, after all the hassle of replacing the oil pump and accessory housing, I had problems again with my oil lines. Even after replacing this hose and leaving a little more wiggle room to allow for more wiggle room between the oil filter and the engine, the line still broke–again.

The short story is that I was close enough to the airport to shut the engine down and glide to the runway. Even made the reverse high speed turnoff. Dripped oil all over everywhere. A real mess… and it got my heart rate up pretty well, too.

.

.

.

PA090064.JPG If you look down towards the bottom of the battery you can see where the hose failed. After significant discussion with a bunch of different people, it was determined that I made a significant mistake in mixing one brand of hose (Aeroquip) with another brand of fitting (Earl’s). More than the brand name, I think it was an incompatible type of hose. Keep reading for future posts showing how I fixed this oil line problem once and for all.

.

.

.

.

PA120075.JPG A friend of mine has an engine vibration measurement machine. For a small fee he helps all kinds of folks with Experimental aircraft balance their props. This particular plane is a Giles 200 based in Longmont, Colorado. If anyone in the area needs a prop balanced, shoot me an email and I’ll put you in touch with Dave.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.